Friday, July 23, 2010

Just to Heat Things Up

It is hot enough here that heating things up is not needed. However there are times when heat can do so much for a person. Like at the Hasting Steam and Sauna.

Since 1926 this establishment has been at 766 Hastings Street and has offered a steam and sauna experience based on the Finnish tradition which is over 1000 years old. Some say this is the way to purify mind and body, to aid in a better life.

I went in one day and was talking a gentleman behind the counter. He even took the time to show me one of private rooms. There are six - half with a gas fired wet heat and the others with a drier electric heat. The basement sauna has two brick-fired gas saunas and the original mosaic-tiled floors. However I am not allowed to see that because it is a men's only area.

This isn't a steam room of decadent and illicit goings on. This is a place where respectable people go to relax. It is clean and bright and a pleasure to walk into. It made the idea of getting a sauna attractive. Unfortunately my disease won't let me but if you aren't heat intolerant then go for it.

Here's to finding the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , ,
,,,,,

1 comment:

  1. The rec center near my house has a sauna in both locker rooms. When I used to go there, I liked getting in the hot tub and sauna after a workout so that my muscles wouldn't tighten up and I'd feel relaxed when I got home. My new gym is going to have both when it opens.

    ReplyDelete