Monday, August 30, 2010

Entering the Vault

I'm not feeling the greatest today - a touch of the flu. I am the fourth person associated with this building to succumb to it recently. So I decided to go into my files of pictures that I have taken these last couple of months and see what it is there.

I was walking by Oppenheimer Park and thought this looked interesting. I hope someone was able to make proper use of them.



The Gospel Mission has been in operation since 1929 and at this location since the 1940s. This organization not only supplies meals to those in need but also showers, haircuts and clean clothing. They believe in not only feeding the body but also the soul and have helped some to change their lives.

Not exactly what I would call a five star hotel but from what I have been able to find out this place has been here for probably close to a hundred years. I wonder how much has actually changed.

I found an article written in 2008 which stated that the hotel then was 118 years old. It had been deemed unsafe and closed in 2006 but the province bought it, upgraded it and, when the article was written, the Marr Hotel had 29 suites that are classifed as affordable housing. A great way to keep some of the city's history alive.

Another one of the city's older establishments that had been taken over by drug dealers, criminals and other nefarious sorts. The Beacon Hotel was doomed to destruction until the province stepped in and once again helped to rebuild in order to supply more affordable housing.

The only information I found on this once fine establishment was that the sign was rusty. I figured that one out all by myself.

Now for something a little different. When I was out taking photos of the PNE I found this one on my camera's memory card. Interesting don't you think?

What I am guessing happened is that I was walking by these fountains.

The wind shifted just as I walked by and I must have accidentally hit the button to take a photo. It was a pleasing error. I like the effect, don't you?

I met a new friend this last Saturday who seemed very willing to stay with me.


My apartment building doesn't allow dogs above the first floor and this fellow may have been so keen on staying with me because he is deaf. I petted him and it was a nice place to sit but he soon followed his owner and left me alone. I suppose I will survive without him.

Did you notice that there is a new link under the title? If you like you can sign up to be notified whenever I update the blog. I am aiming for five to six days a week but I will have to see how things go.

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment