Monday, August 2, 2010

Grounded Rainbows

I'm a city girl. I like the feeling of concrete beneath my shoes and I enjoy the amenities I get from living in the city. I enjoy looking at the older homes that are all along where I walk and I marvel at humankind's ingenuity. It is wonderous how we have created ways to travel from one place to another or the way we have gone from building simple structures to protect us from the elements to the elaborate buildings we see. I love to look at the history around me.

But I also like to look at the green, all shades of it. To walk along a busy street with industrial buildings creating things all around me it brings a smile to my face when I see how nature is connected with us.





That great prophet of our time, Kermit the Frog, was right when he said it ain't easy being green. On my walks I see all sorts of garbage being thrown into the greenery and it is disheartening. But then I look around at this foliage and silently thank those who are taking the time to keep it going. They aren't destroying it.



Yet even when they aren't cultivated the botany can survive and flourish. I watched a bit of a show on television that was predicting what would happen if humans disappeared off the face of the earth. According to the documentary the foliage would take over everything. I believe that would happen.


Nature not only blesses us with the rich greens but look at the colors that reside in nature. While walking along Powell Street yesterday I was pleasantly taken aback by the gorgeous hues of the above rose. I knew I had to share with you.


My world is filled with colors, at least at this time of year, and I find it invigorating. And awe inspiring. No matter how hard humans try or how close we do come, nothing we create matches the perfection the earth has created.


Is it any wonder that I look forward to going for my daily walks? Not only do I get to think and plan and listen to music, I get to see all this. Pretty good considering I live in the middle of a big city!

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , ,
,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment