Thursday, August 26, 2010

Home Sweet Home

Last night I did a little research and found addresses for a few heritage homes in the area. My first stop was going to be at 1098 Salsbury Drive.

This grand home is named Kurrajong after bushes on the Australian sheep farm where the original resident was from. J.J. Miller came to Vancouver with his brother in 1903. This house was built for J.J. in 1908 after had and his brother had made a fortune in real estate. His brother's home was built two blocks east and named Wilga. Both brothers lost their fortunes in the crash of 1913 but their fine homes remain. Having gone through alterations and upgrades of course.

On the way to Kurrajong I passed this apartment building.


This is either an older building or one that has been constructed to fit in with the heritage look of many residences and buildings around here.

This house, across the street from Kurrajong is older. I am pretty sure about that.

The house above was built in 1908. That must have been a banner year for Grandview, that is what this area is called. And I can see why. The glimpses I get from in between houses and buildings while walking is gorgeous. Imagine what it was like over a hundred years ago when there wasn't as much in the way to block the view.


I used to live a few houses away from this building. It doesn't have a heritage plaque but it does have this.

I used to like to stand outside this building and imagine what it must look like inside. It just looks so classy and elegant. I imagined that living here would make others think I was refined. I was nineteen at the time. I still think it is a nice building though.

This alluring abode is located across the street from John Hendry Park and Trout Lake. A quiet area filled with nature's gifts. Right in the middle of the city. I don't know much about this house just that it has a heritage plaque.

Now I don't think this house has a heritage plaque and I don't know how old it is. Yet you have to admit the paint job is interesting.

I walk, sometimes with a goal in mind, and take pictures of what I see. Sometimes I am able to get information on them and sometimes not. Some things I see strike me as interesting. Like this.

This door does not appear to actually lead into a home made of grass rather a back yard. Yet when Canada and the US were first settled those gathering on the prairies didn't have access to luxuries like lumber so their houses were made of sod. The native sod of the prairies was a thicker, tougher root structure making a Soddy a liveable structure.

There are many more homes and information to pass on another time.

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment