Sunday, August 15, 2010

Reading, Writing and Arthmetic

That time of year is coming up. Gone will be the days of summer, of swimming and playing in the outdoors. Soon the kiddies will be off to school, to learn and grow.





So let's take a look at some of the schools around the area.


It is fitting that I start with this school - Lord Strathcona Elementary - for it is the oldest in Vancouver. Despite the sign that says 1921, this school was actually first established in 1891. Although I have heard negative reports about this school lately, I know of a few great people who went here.

Donald Alexander Smith was 1st baron Strathcona and not only worked for the Hudson's Bay Company but also amassed a great fortune through investments in banking, land and railways. In 1886 he was knighted and raised to peerage. But that is not what makes him great. He was also a philanthropist. He used his fortune and influence to advance many causes including education.

Here is the Seymour School. Although the post is in the way you may be able to see that the date on the building is 1907. Actually it predates that.

The original building had eight classrooms and was completed in 1901. It was named for Sir Edward Hobart Seymour, an Admiral in the British Navy.

This establishment of learning was built in 1905. Named after Sir William Macdonald who was born on Prince Edward Island in 1831. He was a man who believed in the value of education and strived to further that goal.


Here is another view of the school from the East Pender entrance.

Another school not too far from me is the Hastings School.


This school was built in 1908 and it has gone through numerous renovations. Today it has a strong academic focus and involves parents in the support system. The adminstrators seem to strongly believe in the importance of family involvement with a child's learning and development.


Remember when I wrote on the Britannia Centre and the schools there? The photos I showed then looked pretty new but here is a glimpse of the history of this fine institution.

Okay, this next school isn't in Vancouver, not even British Columbia.

This is a little school in a town called Dewberry Alberta. My daddy went to school here! Dewberry is north east of Edmonton and in 2008 had a population of 231. I went there with my parents many years ago and it is a quaint place that really reminded me of the backbone that got Canada going. The people I met then have the spirit that makes countrys great.

While walking up Hastings Street today I met up with a young man by the name of Jaime. He was in town for his sister's wedding and he was a joy to be around. There was an aura of happiness and joy that surrounded him that surpassed the joy of his sister getting married to her long time partner. I think that Jaime has a good spirit all the time. I hope that Jaime has a safe trip home and enjoyed his stay here.

Jaime said something interesting to me though. When he found out that I wrote a blog on Vancouver he asked if I was from here. I think that is because most newcomers would be interested in the history and landmarks of the city whereas residents tend to ignore it. But when we do that what are we missing?

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

1 comment:

  1. You have some fantastic pix on your blog. How about a coffee table book of Vancouver pictures some day?

    ReplyDelete