Monday, September 6, 2010

Not Where I Intended

Today I started on a journey in the rain. I was going to go to New Brighton Park. I researched where it was and how to get there through Google Maps. I had the route all planned out. But you know what they say about the best laid plans.

I couldn't find it. And then, to make matters worse, I had to go to the bathroom. Badly! And of course there is nowhere to go. I could have gone behind some bushes I guess but the only things I could find was blackberry bushes.

So I wandered and found my way to Burrard View Park. Thankfully there was a building with lavatory facilities there. Unfortunately there was also a padlock on the doors. Labor Day and all that is now locked up. (I shall have to talk to someone about that. It may be after summer but I still walk and still have to use the facilities sometimes!)

There was another building nearby though.

This is the St. James' Cottage Hospice. I went in and asked for their advice on where I could go. A nice woman bent the rules and allowed me to use their washroom. And I was so fascinated by the surroundings that I knew I had to write about it.

There is a monument outside of this hospice that gives tribute to Helen Gregory MacGill. Mrs. MacGill was a woman that many today should give a nod to.


Born in Hamilton Ontario on Jamuary 7, 1864, Helen Emma Gregory was the first woman to graduate from Trinity College. She then went to work as a newspaper reporter. Her first husband, Dr. F.C. Flescher, passed away and she married her second husband, J.H. MacGill in 1902. MacGill was a successful lawyer in Vancouver. (thanks to The Canadian Encyclopedia for the photo of Ms. MacGill)

In 1917 Helen became the first female judge in British Columbia. During her tenure as a judge for the Juvenile Court she focused on improving pensions, women's rights and other social laws. She also passed on her fervor for women's rights to her daughters, Dr. Helen MacGill Hughes and Elsie MacGill, a noted aeronautical engineer.



Here are some more views of the hospice.

If I were facing my last days on this earth this would be the place that I would love to spend them at. I mean look at the view.

Imagine how it must look when the rain isn't misting everything.

There is even a dog park next door. I did take a photo of three dogs playing but for some reason the photo didn't transfer to the computer. So I will leave that to your imagination.

It is almost destiny that I go for walk intending on arriving at one destination yet find myself somewhere else. And there lies a story that needs to be told.

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment