Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Tiptoe through

Here's another school for you.

I was walking along Kitchener Street one day when I saw this school and a sign anouncing its centennial celebration on May 6.

The school was named after British Admiral, Horatio Nelson.

In 1930, 1952 and 1964 the size of the school was increased. And in 1965 the playground west of the school was added and three years later portables were permanently installed when the school's enrolment peaked at 1,100 students.

The population of this learning establishment has changed over the years. During the 1940s through the 1970s the attendees were predominantly those of Italian descent but now the enrolment is more diverse with about 58% of the students being East Asian descent.

I lived in this area in 1984 and then there were a lot of people of Italian descent living here. Now it seems like there is more diversity in the faces I see.


When people mention tulips do you think of acres of yellow blossoms surrounding windmills in the Netherlands? Do you see wooden clogs and blond, fresh faced people? We do tend to associate tulips with the Dutch but would it surprise you to know that this perennial, bulbous plant was first commercially cultivated in Ottoman Empire also known as Turkey?

To me the tulips mean spring and I love the variety of colours that are everywhere it seems. I hope you do too because I have lots of photos of tulips!

I hope you find the beauty around you.

TAGS:, , , ,,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment