Friday, January 20, 2012

The Hollies

After the World's Columbian Exposition in Chicago in 1893, the Neo-Classical Revival style of architecture became popular and that is the vision that George MacDonald saw for his home which was built in 1912

The Hollies, as MacDonald's home become known as, features  columns, porticos, pediments and other classical details that demonstrate the Neo-Classical Revival style. The house reminds me of the mansions on plantations in the old southern states.

Many of the first generation of home owners in Shaughnessy worked for CPR and George MacDonald was no different. He was a CPR official who made a fortune from mining and timber.

In 1922 MacDonald sold the house to Robert Mann of the Canadian National Railway.

Up until the 1950s, the Hollies was a popular place for weddings. The house was eventually made into a multiple-conversion dwelling and later still it was occupied by a service agency.

More recently the home was changed back to a private residence. This reflects the efforts to reassert the viability of single-family homes in Shaughnessy.

On Wednesday I was interviewed on Readers Rockin' Radio and one of the hosts is an editor for Saga Books. I was informed during the interview that Saga Books will be publishing my newest manuscript - Missing Flowers. I will let you know more information like publication date when I get it myself.
I hope you find the beauty around you.

, , , , , , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment