Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Huntting House

The house  I am going to show you today was having work done on it both times I went to Shaughnessy but I decided to use those photos anyway.

W.F. Huntting, president of Huntting-Merritt Lumber Company had this home built between 1911 and 1913. It was designed by architect Cecil Croker Fox  who was a junior partner in Maclure and Fox.


This house is almost identical to the home 'Orchard' near London, England which was the English architect's C.F.A. Voysey's own house. The home has rough stucco and a massive steep roof and is a grand version of an English country cottage.

Cecil Crocker Fox was a draftsman who had studied with the premier British arts-and-crafts architect, Charles Francis Annesley Voysey when he was hired by Samuel Maclure in 1903.

In 1905, due to the increasing demand for his services in Vancouver, Maclure went into partnership with Fox. Fox ran the office in Vancouver until he went to war in 1915. Fox's death a year later devastated Maclure and the office was closed.


This was the last house on my walking tour of Shaughnessy but I am certain I will find more homes to write on in that area. And they will probably be as gorgeous and awe inspiring as some of the ones I have shown in the past two months.

I do enjoy walking through this area - it is so peaceful and beautiful. And I have joked that I walked a few times just before a big lottery draw hoping that the wealth here would rub off on me. It hasn't happened yet but I can always hope.

I hope you find the beauty around you.


, , , , , , ,

1 comment:

  1. I have the beauty around this cool home. I am sure that the glamor of this house will never die. I find it really beautiful and something that I could always have - even in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete