Friday, June 27, 2014

BCSS

Recruitment for the British Columbia Sheriff Service is handled by the Service's Recruiting and Selection Unit. It isn't easy. Applicants must meet provincial standards, go through several interviews - including a panel interview - answer a questionnaire on lifestyle and integrity and background and criminal checks are performed. Of course, there is physical fitness testing, driving and vision tests as well as medical.

Recruits undergo an intensive 16-week training program and the Justice Institute of British Columbia in New Westminster - the same building where I meet with the Toastmasters group I just joined. The training is broken in three blocks and consists of training in Legal Studies, Report Writing, Force Response Options, Arrest and Control techniques, Physical Fitness, Communications, Dress and Deportment, Emergency Operation / Driving training and Roles and Responsibilities.

The  soon to be sheriffs are also trained to provincial standards in use of force option tools such as pistols, expandable batons, OC pepper spray and CEW tasers. BCSS members receive ongoing training in active shooter scenarios and team deployments. They are also qualified to to provincial standards in Emergency vehicle operation, crowd management, incident command system and first aid. Sheriffs can be deployed to help other law enforcement agencies with public safety during civil emergencies.

The BCSS members continue their training after the initial 16 weeks. They receive advanced training in media management motorcade training, communications skills, controlled access points, command level incident command, managing targeted violence, infrastructure vulnerability assessment training, legal studies refresher course, communications tactics and radio communications, drug identification, notebook and advanced report writing, basic criminal investigation/contact and cover, gangs course, corruption integrity and compromise course, force response options, euthanization of wildlife, intelligence officer Level 1 course and threat awareness. These law enforcements members are encouraged to take advantage of a large range of law enforcement related courses offered by the Justice Institute of British Columbia or through other law enforcement agencies.

I have a little more to tell you about the BCSS but I will do that on Monday. You only have until 8 AM PST June 29 (Saturday) to get a copy of my eBook On The Right Side, My Story of Survival and Success, for 99 cents in the UK and the US. 

Here's a little sample:

Mondays can be unpleasant days but none as awful as June 5, 2000 was to me. My alarm sounded and when I reached over to try to turn it off, my left arm wouldn’t move. I sleep on my right side so I had to manoeuvre myself so that I could turn off the noise. I managed to do that then struggled to sit up. I sleepily stood, but then my left leg collapsed under me.

First thing in the morning, I am not fully awake but I do know I have to go to the washroom – that room calls me as soon as my eyes open. Sometimes even before. That Monday I crawled the short distance between my bedroom and the bathroom where I hauled myself onto the toilet, took care of business, and then dragged myself up to the bathroom sink. I leaned against the vanity and brushed my teeth, watching myself in the mirror as I did so. It was strange. Nothing on the left side of my face moved. It was as if someone had drawn a line down the center of my body and everything on the right side was fine but the left side didn’t move. What was going on?




I want to say thank you to wikipedia for the information on the BCSS. The photos are from my jaunt to Pacific Spirit Park.

I hope you find the beauty around you.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like they have to go through getting a Bachelors Degree to be a BCSS. It is incredibly important for them to have as much training as possible to keep themselves safe. We have a similar program for our Officers but I don't think it is as intensive as yours. We have a Police Academy and would like them to get a Bachelors Degree. Most opt for the Acadamey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so much for the stereotype of the backwoods sheriff! Thanks for reading and commenting Lee.

      Delete